1PhD student nursing, Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
2MSc in nursing, College of Nursing, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
3PhD Associate Professor, Behavioral Sciences Research Center and Faculty Nursing, Tehran, Iran
4PhD Professor in neuroscience, Neuroscience Research Center, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
5PhD Professor in nephrology, Nephrology and Urology Department, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background: Depression, anxiety and stress are common among hemodialysis patients affecting their mental health and quality of life, leading to multiple dysfunctions. Anti-anxiety effects of aromatherapy, as one of the domains of complementary medicine, have been investigated in several studies. Aim: Investigation of the effect of aromatherapy with lavender essential oil on depression, anxiety and stress rates in hemodialysis patients. Methods: This study was a randomized controlled clinical trial performed on 60 patients undergoing hemodialysis in Tehran, Iran in 2014. The patients were randomly divided into intervention and control groups. To measure the rate of depression, anxiety and stress, the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales-21 was used. In the intervention group, the patients were asked to inhale the lavender essential oil smeared on a piece of cloth (three drops of oil) for one hour during the hemodialysis procedure. After 4 weeks, the rates of depression, anxiety and stress were re-measured. Data analysis was performed by SPSS software version 14 using chi-square, Wilcoxon and Mann-Whitney U statistical tests. Results: In this study, 33(60%) of the participants were male, and 53(96.4%) were married. After the intervention, the scores of depression (P<0.001) and stress (P<0.04) significantly decreased in the intervention group in comparison with control group; but the reduction in the anxiety score was not statistically significant. Conclusion: Aromatherapy with lavender essential oil might reduce depression and stress among hemodialysis patients. Therefore, this method can be used as a complementary method with less complication to improve the quality of life of these patients.
1. Mollahadi M, Tayyebi A, Ebadi A, Daneshmandi M. Comparison Between Anxiety, Depression And Stress in Hemodialysis And Kidney Transplantation Patients. Journal of Critical Care Nursing. 2010;2(4):9-10 (Persian).
2. Cukor D, Coplan J, Brown C, Peterson RA, Kimmel PL. Course of Depression And Anxiety Diagnosis in Patients Treated With Hemodialysis: a 16-month follow-up. CJASN. 2008;3(6):1752-8.
3. Zahirodin A, Samimi Ardestani M. Anxiety And Dialysis. KAUMS Journal ( FEYZ ). 2001;4(4):95-8 (Persian).
4. Ahmadzadeh G, Mehdi M. The Prevalence Of Depression, Anxiety And Psychosis Among Hemodialysis Patients In Nour And Ali Asghar Hospitals In Isfahan. Journal Of Isfahan Medical School. 2012;29(162):1280-8 (Persian).
5. Knuth B, Radtke V, Rocha P, da Silva KS, Dalsóglio F, Gazal M, et al. Prevalence of Depression Symptoms And Serum Levels of Interleukin-6 in Hemodialysis Patients. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2014;68(4):275-82.
6. Afshar R, Ghaedi G, Sanavi S, Davati A, Rajabpour A. Depression And Related Factors in Patients Undergoing Conventional Maintenance Hemodialysis. Daneshvar Medicine. 2010;17(88):59-66 (Persian).
7. Sharif F, Vedad F. The Relationship Between Mental Health and Quality of Life of Hemodialysis Patients Referred to Hospitals Affiliated to Shiraz University of Medical Sciences. Iran Journal of Nursing. 2007;20(51):61-9 (Persian).
8. Mollaoglu M. Perceived Social Support, Anxiety, and Self‐care among Patients Receiving Hemodialysis. Dial Transplant. 2006;35(3):144-55.
9. Kim MS, Cho KS, Woo H, Kim JH. Effects of Hand Massage on Anxiety in Cataract Surgery Using Local Anesthesia. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2001;27(6):884-90.
10. Kouidi E, Karagiannis V, Grekas D, Iakovides A, Kaprinis G. Depression, Heart Rate Variability, and Exercise Training in Dialysis Patients. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2010;17(2):160-7.
11. Mokhtari J, Siratinayer M, Sadeghi Shermeh M, Ghanbari Z, Haji Amini Z, Tayebi A, et al. Effect of Foot Reflexology Massage and Bensone Relaxation on Anxiety. Journal Of Behavioral Sciences (JBS). 2009;3(2):159-65 (Persian).
12. Sanjuan Navais M, Via Clavero G, Vazquez Guillamet B, Moreno Duran AM, Martinez Estalella G. Effect of Music on Anxiety and Pain in Patients With Mechanical Ventilation. Enferm Intensiva. 2013;24(2):63-71.
13. Field T, Diego M, Hernandez-Reif M. Tai Chi/Yoga Effects on Anxiety, Heartrate, EEG and Math Computations. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2010;16(4):235-8.
14. Tayyebi A, Babahaji M, Sadeghi sherme M, Ebadi A, Eynollahi B. Study of The Effect of Hatha Yoga Exercises on Stress, Anxiety and Depression Among Hemodialysis Patients. Iranian Journal of Critical Care Nursing. 2011;3(3):67-72.
15. Boelens PA, Reeves RR, Replogle WH, Koenig HG. The Effect of Prayer on Depression and Anxiety: Maintenance of Positive Influence One Year After Prayer Intervention. Int J Psychiatry Med. 2012;43(1):85-98.
16. Valcanti CC, Chaves Ede C, Mesquita AC, Nogueira DA, de Carvalho EC. Religious/Spiritual Coping in People With Chronic kidney Disease Undergoing Hemodialysis. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2012;46(4):838-45.
17. Alijaniha F, Ghaffari F, Naseri M, Asghari M. Smelling Drugs Application, In The Prevention And Treatment Of Disease, From The Perspective Of Iranian Traditional Medicine. Medical history. 2013;5(14):67-77 (Persian).
18. Babashahi M, kahangi LS, Babashahi F, Fayazi S. Comparing the Effect of Massage Aromatherapy and Massage on Anxiety Level Of the Patients in The Preoperative Period: A Clinical Trial. Evidence Based Care Journal. 2012;2(2):19-28 (Persian).
19. Cooke B, Ernst E. Aromatherapy: a Systematic Review. Br J Gen Pract. 2000;50(455):493-6.
20. Bahraini S, Naji S, Mannani R. Effects of Aromatherapy and Its Application. Journal of Urmia Nursing And Midwifery Faculty. 2011;9(1):1-8 (Persian).
21. Cho MY, Min ES, Hur MH, Lee MS. Effects of Aromatherapy on The Anxiety, Vital Signs, and Sleep Quality of Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Patients in Intensive Care Units. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;56(12):381-6.
22. Lee YL, Wu Y, Tsang HW, Leung AY, Cheung WM. A Systematic Review on the Anxiolytic Effects of Aromatherapy in People With Anxiety Symptoms. J Altern Complement Med. 2011;17(2):101-8.
23. Hur M-H, Song J-A, Lee J, Lee MS. Aromatherapy For Stress Reduction in Healthy Adults: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials. Maturitas. 2014;79(4):362-9.
24. Valipour S, Kheirkhah M, Neisani L, Haghani H. Comparison of the Effects of Aromatherapy With Essential Oils of Damask Rose and Hot Footbath on the First Stage of Labor Anxiety in Nulliparous Women. Complementary Medicine Journal of Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery. 2012;2(2):1-9 (Persian).
25. Toda M, Morimoto K. Effect of Lavender Aroma on Salivary Endocrinological Stress Markers. Arch Oral Biol. 2008;53(10):964-8.
26. Kritsidima M, Newton T, Asimakopoulou K. The Effects of Lavender Scent on Dental Patient Anxiety Levels: a Cluster Randomised‐Controlled Trial. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2010;38(1):83-7.
27. Mirzaei F, Keshtgar S, Kaviani M, Rajaeifard A. The Effect of Lavender Essence Smelling During Labor on Cortisol and Serotonin Plasma Levels and Anxiety Reduction in Nulliparous Women. Journal of Kerman University of Medical Sciences. 2009;16(3):245-54 (Persian).
28. Neisi L, Hashemy S, Azarbeik M, Bahrampoor E. The Study of Effect Aromatherapy on the Anxiety Rate and Cortisol Plasma Change on Hemodialysis Patients. International Research Journal of Applied and Basic Sciences. 2013;6(6):882-8.
29. Lovibond PF, Lovibond SH. The Structure of Negative Emotional States: Comparison of the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS) With the Beck Depression and Anxiety Inventories. Behav Res Ther. 1995;33(3):335-43.
30. Samani S, Joukar B. A Study On The Reliability And Validity Of The Short Form Of The Depression Anxiety Stress Scale (DASS-21). Journal of social sciences and humanities of Shiraz University. 2007;26(3):65-77 (Persian).
31. Sahebi A, Asghari M, Salari R. Validation of Depression Anxiety and Stress Scale (DASS-21) For an Iranian Population. Iranian Psychologists. 2005;1(4):299-313 (Persian).
32. Asghari Moghaddam MA, Saed F, Dibajnia, P., Zangeneh J. A Preliminary Validation of the Depression, Anxiety and Stress Scales (DASS) in Non-clinical Sample. Clinical Psychology & Personality. 2008;1(31):23-38 (Persian).
33. Akin A, Cetin B. the depression anxiety and stress scale (DASS):Study of Validity and Reliability. Educational Sciences: Theory and Practice. 2007;7(1):260-8.
34. Kanani M, Mazloum S, A E, Mokhber N. The Effect of Aromatherapy With Orange Essential Oils on Anxiety in Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis. Journal of Sabzevar University of Medical Sciences. 2012;19(3):249-57 (Persian).
35. Itai T, Amayasu H, Kuribayashi M, Kawamura N, Okada M, Momose A, et al. Psychological Effects of Aromatherapy on Chronic Hemodialysis Patients. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2000;54(4):393-7.
36. Graham PH, Browne L, Cox H, Graham J. Inhalation Aromatherapy During Radiotherapy: Results of a Placebo-Controlled Double-Blind Randomized Trial. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2003;21(12):2372-6.