1MS in Pediatrics Nursing, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
2Assistant Professor of Nursing, Department of Nursing, School of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
3Associate Professor of biostatistics Department, School of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
Background: Nowadays, due to ineffectiveness of interventions in the prevention of obesity in school-age children, collaborative approach in order to prevent and control the obesity seems necessary. Aim: to assess the impact of health promotion programs with collaborative approach on physical activity levels of overweight school-age girls. Methods: This quasi-experimental and pretest/post-test study was conducted among 80 overweight female students which were randomly selected. Data were collected via activity checklist. In the test groups, health promotion programs were administered in 3 stages of assessment, supportive planning and evaluation in 6 to 8 one-hour sessions for four consecutive weeks (2 sessions per week for students, parents and teachers), activities suitable with children’s condition 3 sessions per week, and evaluation for 3 months. Level of children's activity in both groups were evaluated by the child and parents before and 3 months after intervention and analyzed by SPSS software version 16, independent and paired t-tests, and chi-square. Results: Before the intervention, the two groups were similar in terms of age, place of birth, history of disease, nutrition, parental age, education, occupation and income, and duration of exercise. After the intervention, both groups had significant differences in duration of exercise (P<0.001). Conclusion: Health promotion programs with collaboration of children, parents and teachers could increase exercise duration in overweight children.
Kosti RI, Panagitako DB. The Epidemic of Obesity in Children and Adolescent in the World. Cent Eur J Public Health.2006, 14(4):151-9.
2. Alborzimanesh M, Kimiagar M, Rashidkhani B. Relationship Between Overweight and Obesity with Lifestyle of School Age Student in Tehran. Iranian J Nutr.2011; 6:75-84. (Persian).
3.WHO. Global Strategy for Non-Communicable Disease Prevention and Control (draft).Geneva: world health organization 1997;who/ncd/GS/97.1.
4. Lobstin T, Baurl L.Obesity in Children and Young People: A Crisise in Public Health.I nternational Obesity Task Forse. Obesity Review.2004; 5(1):100-4.
5.Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Overweight and Obesity,Availablefrom:http://www.edc.gov/obesity/childhood/defining.htm,2009.
6. Azerbaijani M, Alipoor S. Relationship Between Physical Activity and Obesity in 6-12 Children. Scientific Quarterly of Teb and Tazkie.2003; 8(3):10-16. (Persian).
7. Kelishadi R, Ardalan G, gheiratmand R, Gouya MM, Emran MR, delavari A, et al. Association of Physical Activity and Dietary Behaviors in Relation to the Body Mass Index in a National Sample of Iranian Children and Adolescents. Bull World Health Organ. 2007; 85(1): 19-26. (Persian).
8. Hajian KO, Sajadi P, Rezvani AR. Prevalence of Overweight and Underweight Among Primary School Children Aged 7-12 Years (Babol; 2006). J Babol University of Medical Sciences 2008; 10: 83-91. (Persian).
9. Pelegrini A, Petroski EL, Coqueiro RDS, Gaya ACA. Overweight and Obesity in Brazilian School Children Aged 10 to 15 Years: Data From a Brazilian Sports Project. Arch Latinoam Nutr. 2008; 58(4): 343-9.
10. Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Curtin LR, Lamb MM, Flegal KM. Prevalence of High Body Mass Index in US Children and Adolescents, 2007-2008. JAMA .2010; 303(3):242-9.
11. Ochoa MC .Predictive Factor for Childhood Obesity in Spanish Case Control Study. Nutrition.2007;23(5):379-84.
12. Taheri F,Zangoie M,Kazemi T, Zangoi Fard M. Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity in 11-15 Years Old(Mid-School) Students in Birjand,2005.Birjand university of Medical Science.2011;8(2):58-64. (Persian).
13. He M.Piche L.Beynon CH. Screen-Related Sedentary Behaviors: Children’s and Parents ’Attitudes, Motivations, and Practices. J Nutr Educ Behav.2010;42(1):17-25.
14. Berkey CS,Rockett HR,Gillman MN.One –Year Change in Activity and Inactivity Among 10 to 15 Years Old Boys and Girls:Relationship to Change in Body Mass Index.Pediatrics .2003;111(4):836-43.
15. Kelshadi R ,Motlagh ME,Ardalan G, Ziyaodini H. Prevention of Chronic Non Communicable Disease :Today Better Than Tomorrow2007-2008 Isfahan.Isfahan university of medical science.2008.(Persian)
16. Sakamoto N,Wansen s, Tonthisirin k, Marui E. A Social Epidemiologic Study of Obesity Among Preschool Children in Thiland. Int J obese Relat Metab Disord.2001;25(3):389-94.
17. Deonis M,Blossner M. Prevalence and Trend of Overweight Among Preschool Children in Developing Countries. Am J Clin Nutr.2000;72(4):1032-39.
18. Limbers CH, Turner EA, Varni JW. Promoting Healthy Lifestyle: Behavior Modification and Motivational Interviewing in the Treatment of Child Obesity .J Clin lipidol.2008;2(3):169-78.
19. Crespo C, Smite E, Troiano R.Television watching, Energy Intake and Obesity in US Children.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med.2011;155(3):360-65.
20. Kelishadi R, Hashemipoor M. Relationship Between Television Advertisement and Nutrition Pattern's of Children and Adolescents in Esfahan and Najafabad.[PHD Dissertation].Iran. Esfahan. Faculty of Medical Science. Esfahan University.2003.(Persian)
21. Abbott RA,Davies PS.Habitual Physical Activity Intensity : Their Relation to Body Composition in 5-10 Years Old Children .Eur Clin Nutr.2004;58(2):285-91.
22. Nejat S,Montazeri A, Holakouie K, Mohamadi K.The World Health Organization Quality of Life (WHO QOL-BREF) Questioner:Translation Validation Study of Iranian version.SJSPH.2006;4(2):1-14.
23. Ogdan CL.Carrol MD.Curti LR,lamb M,Flegal K. Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity in The United State 2007-2008. JAMA.2010;303(3):242-44.
24. Aminzadeh M, Hosseinzadeh M, Nikfar R, Ghaderian M, Mohsenporian S. Incidence in Overweight and Obesity Among School Children, Ahvaz-2010. Ajums.2013; 12(4):356-61. .(Persian)
25. Jones GL,Sutton A. Quality of Life in Obese Menopausal Women. Menopause Int.2008;14(1):26-32.
26. Amanallahi A, Sohrabi M, Montazeri A. Prevalence of Obesity and Overweight in Primary School Girls. Payesh.2011; 1:83-9.
27. Ward DS,Saunders R,Felton GM,William E. Implementation of a School Environment Intervention to Increase Physical Activity in High School Girls.Health Educ Res. 2006;21(6):896-910.
28. Khalid Mohammaed EL. Is High-Altitude Environment a Risk Factor for Childhood Overweight and Obesity in Saudi Arabia. wilderness Environ Med.2008; 19(3):157-63.
29. Robbins B,Gretebeck AK,kazani AS,Pender JN.Girls on The Move Program to Increase Physical Activity Participation. Nurs Res. 2006;55(3):206-16.
30. Allen D, Alberta M.Media and Children Physical Activity.Res Edu Promot Physical Activity.2005;16(2):1-4.
31. Tehrani f, Kazemi T. Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity in 7 to 18 Years Old Children in Birjand.Iran J Pediatr. 2009;19( 2):135-40. .( In Persian)
32. Clemens-stone S, Curie SL, Gerber D.Comprehensive Community Nursing:Familly,Aggregated community practice.6th ed.Mosby;2001.
33. Youth Physical Activity Guideline Toolkit. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Center for Disease Control and Prevention.National Center for Chronic Diseases and Prevention and Health Promotion Division of Adolescent and School Health.2010. Available at: Http: // www.cdc.gov/Healthy Youth.
34. Yackobovitch-Gavan M, Nagelberg N, Phillip M. The Influence of Diet and or Exercise and Parental Compliance on Health Related Quality of Life in Obese Children. Nutr Res. 2009;29(6):397-404.
35. Quinn A, Doody C, Oshea D. The Effect of Physical Activity Education Program on Physical Activity ,Fitness,Quality of Life and Attitude to Execise in Obese Femaile.J Sci Med Sport.2008;11(5):469-72.
36. Lazzeri G, Rossi S, Pammolli A, Pilato V, Pozzi T, Giacchi MV. Underweight and Overweight Among Children and Adolescents in Tuscany (Italy). Prevalence and Short-term Trends. J Prev Med & Hyg 2008; 49(1): 13-21.
37. Knopfli BH, Radtke THE, Schatzle B, Eisenblatter J. Effect of a Multidisciplinary in Patient Intervention on Body Composition, Aerobic Fitness and Quality of Life in Severely Obese Girls and Boys. J Adolesc Health.2008; 42(4):119-27.
38. Schwimmer J,Burwinkle T,Varni J.Health Related Quality of Life of Severely Obese Children and Adolescent. JAMA.2003; 289(14):1813-9.
39. Hockenberry MJ, Wilson D. Wong’s Nursing Care of Infant and Children. Philadeladelphia, st. Louise, Mosbey, 9th, Elsevier; 2009, P: 712-50.
40. Lin Ch,Su Ch,Ma H.Physical Activity Pattern and Quality of Life of Overweight Boys : A Preliminary Study. Occupation Therapy .2012;22(1):31-7.
42. Patrick K, Calfas KJ, Norman GJ, Zabinski MF, Sallis JF, Rupp J. Randomized Controlled Trial of a Primary Care and Home-Based Intervention for Physical Activity and Nutrition Behaviors. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006; 160(2): 128-36.
43. Hajian K, Heidari B. Prevalence of Obesity and Its Associatedfactors in Population Aged 20 to 70 Years in Urban Areas of Mazandaran. JMUMS 2006; 16: 107-17 (Persian)
44. Wright K, Giger NJ, Norris K, Suro Z. Impact of Nurse- Directed,Coordinated School Health Program to Enhance Physical Activity Behaivior and Reduce Body Mass Index Among Minority Children:A Parallel- Group Randomized Control Trial.Int J Nur. 2013; 50(6): 727-37.