1Instructor of Nursing, Department of Management, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
2MS in Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
3Associate professor of nursing, Department of Medical-Surgical Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
4Instructor of Nursing, Department of Medical-Surgical Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Background: The diabetes mellitus is a disease with the disability to metabolize carbohydrates. The global prevalence of diabetes has estimated to be 439 million in 2030. Modification to the diet is an important factor in curing diabetes. Virtual learning is an important tool to guarantee the access of all patients to the dietary instructions. Aim: To determine the effect of E-learning education on dietary regimen in type 2 diabetic patients. Methods: This semi-experimental study was conducted on 85 patients suffering from diabetes type-2 admitted to ShahidQodsi health center in Mashhad. They were divided into two groups. Pre-and post-intervention questionnaire data and blood samples were recorded. The data were analyzed using SPSS Ver.11.5. Results: The results showed that after the intervention, there was a significant increase in average value of adherence to the diet in group receiving virtual learning, compared to the group with face-to-face instructions (p<0.05). The average and df were statistically significant in both groups in terms of glicosyled hemoglobin (p=0.001). Conclusion: Considering the results of the present study, as virtual learning has a significant effect on adherence to the diet and several elements such as facilities, it is recommended for the nurses to get familiar with this type of learning method and instruct the patients in diabetes centers.
1. Doosti M, Abazari P, Babaee S, Shahgholian N. Facilitators of Adherence to Self-Management in Type2 Diabetic Patients: a Phenomenological Study. Iranian journal of endocrinology & metabolism. 2009;11(3) (Persian).
2. Shaw JE, sicree RA, Zimmet PZ. Global Estimates of the Prevalence of Diabetes for 2010 and 2030. . Diabetes research and clinical practice. 2010;87:4-14.
3. Afshar M, Hosseini E. What is Diabetes Mellitus. Kashan: Morsel; 1382. (Persian).
4. Suzanne CS, Brenda GB, Janice LH, Kerry HC. Brunner and suddarths textbook of medical- surgical nursing. 12nd ed. Nooghabi A, nayeri ND, editors. Tehran: andishe rafi; 2010.
5. Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus. Report of the expert committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabet Care 2002; 25: 5-25
6. Kennedy A, Gask L, Rogers A. Training Professionals to Engage with and Promote Self-Management. Health Educ Res. 2005;20(5):567-78.
7. yarmohammadi SH, mahdavi AR, Norozinejad A. The Guideline for Diabetes Type 2 treatment, Diabetes Worled Federation. tehran: markaze nashre seda; 2005. (Persian).
8. Jerreat L. Diabetes for Nurses. London: Whurr publishers; 2003.
9. Pendsey S. Practical Management of Diabetes. Delhi: Jaypee brothers; .2002.
10. Nagelkerk J, Reick K, Meengs L. Perceived Barriers and Effective Strategies to Diabetes Selfmanagement. J A N. 2006; 54:151-8.
11. Hosseini MM. Principals of Epidemiology and Fighting with Diseases for Nurses. 1nd ed. Tehran: Boshra Publications; 2007. (Persian).
12 Azar M, Gabbay R. Web-Based Management of Diabetes Through Glucose Uploads: Has the Time Come for Telemedicine? Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2009;8(3):9 – 1 7. (Persian).
13. Welch G, Garb J, Zagarins S, Lendel I, Gabbay RA. Nurse Diabetes Case Management Interventions and Blood Glucose Control: Results of a Meta-Analysis. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2010;88(1):1-6.
14. Shahbeigi F, Nezari S. E-learning Education: Premium & Limitationes. journal of education and development central medical yazd. 2012;6(1):47-54.(Persian).
15. Hosseininasab D, Abdullahzadeh F, Feizullahzadeh H. The Effect of Computer Assisted Instruction and Demonstration on Learning Vital Signs Measurement in Nursing Students. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2007;7(1):23-30. [Persian].
16. Huang JP, Hsia MC-, Linge Y. A Comparison of Diabetes Learning With and Without Interactive Multimedia to Improve Knowledge, Control, and Self-Care Among People With Diabetes in Taiwan. Public Health Nursing. 2009;26(4):317 –28.
17. Noohi E, Khandan M, Mirzazadeh A. Effective of Electronic Education on Knowledge Attitude and Self-Care in Patients Diabetic Type 2 Refer to Diabetic Center of Kerman University of Medical Science. Nursing research. 2011;22(6):73-80.(Persian).
18. American Diabetes Association (ADA) Standard of Medical Care for Patient Whith Diabetes Mellitus Diabetes Care. 2002;25:533-49.
19. Moosavifar A, Zolfaghari M, Pedram SH, Haghani H. Effect Follow-up Tow Method(Telephon & Mobile) on Adherence Treatment Regimen in Patients Diabetic. Iranian journal of diabetes and lipid. 2011;4(10):407-18.(Persian).
20. Hassanzadeh F, Shamsoddini S, Karimimoonaghi H, Ebrahimzadeh S. A Comparing Study if Face to Face and Video Based Education on Diet and Fluids Adherence in Hemodialysis Patients. Ofogh-e-Danesh. GMUHS Journal. 2011;17(4). (Persian).